Friday, November 24, 2006

0906994679

Guerlain Mahora
Diẹu. SG 0906994679


Fri, 13 Oct 06
This is a somewhat strange review, because this lovely fragrance has been discontinued. What a shame! It was released in 2000, and it's lush and amazing. I have a good-sized bottle of it, so it should last me a while, but still... what a shame that it's been discontinued.

This is a very lush, earthy, oriental type fragrance. It's very exotic, with green and spicy top notes, a heart of tuberose, frangipani blossoms, neroli, ylang-ylang, and jasmine, and a classic oriental base of vetiver, vanilla, and sandalwood. I also smell something in there that reminds me very distinctly of coconut, but that might be my imagination.

I can understand why it wasn't a hit. It's "old fashioned". It smells like the exotic boudoir of a silent film star with kohl-rimmed eyes. I fell in love with it right away (I bought myself a mini of the fragrance to try it and was instantly hooked, which is why I bought the bigger bottle I already mentioned).

The fragrance was released in a time when the trend was (and still is, to some extent) "light, floral, and fruity" and everything was pink. This fragrance is heavy, golden, mysterious, maybe a little dark. It's definitely not light and it's certainly not pink (pink being a state of mind as well as a colour).

I have nothing against the many "pink" fragrances, honestly. Even as I write this, there's a bottle of Lancôme Miracle on my desk, as well as a mini bottle of Ralph Lauren Romance, two very light, very pink fragrances. Pink is okay with me, in small doses.

But, oh, the sexy, heavy, lush scent of Mahora... Let's just say that if you're in the mood for pink, Mahora is definitely NOT what you want, but if you want exotic and sexy and timeless, Mahora is hard to beat.

And let's look at the bright side. Someday, most of those pink fragrances will be out of production and discontinued, and those that aren't will be regarded as "old lady" fragrances.

Me, I'm in my forties and quite the eccentric, so I can and do wear what I please. And today, what I please is Mahora (though a few days ago I was wearing Miracle, and not only was I wearing the fragrance, I was wearing the scented body cream all over, as well; I was very, very pink and perky smelling, thankyou).

I've also heard a couple of rumours that Guerlain might be releasing Mahora again at some point, but that remains to be seen. In the meantime, I'll cherish the supply of it I do have, which should last a long time, as I wear it infrequently (as gorgeous as it is, I'm not always in the mood to smell like the boudoir of a sexy silent film star with kohl-rimmed eyes), and hope that someday, this lovely fragrance will be re-evaluated by people who can appreciate it.

No comments: