Friday, November 24, 2006

Chopard Casmir

Chopard Casmir

Casmir was created by Chopard in 1991. Top notes are fruity and include mango, coconut, peach, and bergamot, with floral middle notes of jasmine, geranium, and lily of the valley (muguet), on a strong base of amber, musk, vanilla, sandalwood, and patchouli. Casmir captures the charm and mystery of the Orient in a beautiful, exotic perfume. Scintillating!



First, I must confess that I'm not a fan of Orientals. I don't like opopanax (myrrh), which seems to be common in orientals, I generally don't care for patchouli (in rare instances it's okay, but mostly I really just plain don't like it), and while I like sandalwood, I like it only in certain situations and with certain combinations.


That being said (because I want to make my own bias clear), this is not a bad fragrance. It's quite strong, and I'm sorry I put as much on as I did, but that's not the fault of the perfume (next time I wear it, and yes, I probably will wear it again when I'm feeling like something exotic, I'll be more judicious in the application). The patchouli note is very strong, but the overall fragance seems fairly well balanced and it's not terribly overwhelming in that way that, in my opinion, Orientals can be. It's smooth, and warm, not particularly spicy, and as it mellows into the lower notes, I'm finding it quite pleasant, which is saying a lot for me, who doesn't really like Orientals.

I may need to further explore the Oriental family. I'll probably never like Shalimar (as venerable and wonderfully made as that fine fragrance is), but I might like Opium or Cinnabar or.... who knows. I can say that I do like Casmir, though it'll never become an "everyday" fragrance for me. It's a nice change of pace from my usual florals, I must say.

No comments: